Friday, June 17, 2011

After 2000 Years...

I post after 2000 years.
I just thought that with my exams all over now, I should pump some life into this page.
I reiterate. This ain't a daily log, or a page for all the incoherent and utterly insane thoughts that often come to me; this is but a page where I offload some of my mental cargo when I'm totally relaxed or when I'm totally not-relaxed. :-)


In my previous post (which was about a million years back), I was talking about Jaipur. Jaipur. One of my perennially favourite topics. Jaipur, with its forts and people. Well. I *did* manage to go to Jaipur and whoa, it was one memorable holiday. For I went in January, when Jaipur's not just the custodian city of the culture I love, but also the site for the World's largest literary fest, 'The DLC Jaipur Literature Festival'. And what makes it even better is that its co-hosted by one of my all time favourites, William Dalrymple, the 'White Mughal' himself.




I had two of my pals with me. Our hotel was a stone's throw away from M.I. Road, so food was not an issue. Later on in the trip, we shifted base to MNIT's hostel, so as to save some cash. And in the three (or was it four?) days that we were there, we paid a visit to the Zoo, the Amber Fort, the Jaigarh Fort, Bapu Bazaar, the nearby mall, Birla Mandir, and of course, the fest itself at the Diggi Palace. The fest. With people like Dalrymple and Vikram Seth, Patrick French and Ford roaming the hotel grounds without any security, and free beer, it was the experience of a lifetime. You see these names, these people, ever out of reach. And then you reach this festival. And there they are. Your idols, writers, poets, painters, directors, politicians. Approachable. All of them. And then there's the parking. I guess the only parking I've seen where Mercedes' E and C Classes' seemed to be outnumbering the Marutis. And I guess, the only place where I've seen a Jaguar. Anyways, meeting Richard Ford, Dalrymple, Prasoon Joshi was an incredible experience. Celebrities.



Anyways, coming back to Jaipur. You know what has fascinated me the most? Beyond the glorious history and the forts and the vintage cars at the Polo grounds? I am thoroughly fascinated by the deep attachment Rajputs tend to have with Rajasthan. Faith and attachment. And yes, I sense pride.





Dalrymple's books ignited in me what was to become an obsession with traveling and history and these places I go to, Jaipur, Benares, Ujjain, Ellora, Sarnath, Chittor, Udaipur, Ajmer, Pushkar, Delhi. These places only serve to fuel that obsession.


What can be better than this, I wonder? Can any number of malls, or cars, or parties, or joints and people make all these monuments, all these ruins, all this history any less alluring to me? I know its tough to get my point across. Just watch Michael Wood's brilliant 'The Story of India' and you'll never look at your country the same way again. Wood traces the journey of what are today known as Indians from their time in Turkmenistan, Central Asia to the Indian subcontinent beyond the Khyber Pass. He has a logical and totally rational explanation for everything, the Epics, the Gods, everything. Brilliant.


In other news, I am now a member of AIESEC. For those who have never heard the name, there's always Google. Without delving into any details, AIESEC Agra's first social initiative, 'Utsav', was an awesome affair. As were the parties that followed. It was something different. And no number of press articles or group photographs can ever hope to describe that day. If you weren't there, you weren't there. AIESEC is a great experience; its just that I hate all the bloody bureaucracy. The organization seems to have forgotten its roots, mired in all that red tape and project goals and whatnot. Someone needs to clean it up. But after just three months, I don't think that I'm in a position to dictate that.




I'm planning a trip to Pushkar. Lets see how that pans out. But it is tough to convince people to come. People. People. People too busy with their statuses and problems that don't exist. I know people who can complicate a fuckin' vacuum. Fuckin vacuum. Try explaining that to them. That'd be futile. People can't stop and appreciate places like these. They'd rather spend a useless week in Noida or a thrashy Hill station than an enlightening trip to Ujjain. Too busy with problems that Do. Not. Exist. A trip to some ruins; a philosophical angle; a smorgasbord of emotions; sheer awe; respect; a twinge of anger; contempt. People. Buried in cliches. People.


I'm so tired that its almost as if I were drunk. Not drunk though, just pretty tired.


Exams happened and having finished The Office (UK), The Tudors, Spaced, Deadwood, Sherlock, Battlestar Galactica and every other intelligent show ever conceived, I'm bored right now. Might post again.

8 comments:

  1. so.. u've finally posted after a zillion years.. sid bhai dere r ppl who keep visiting dis blog.. just 2 c if THE GREAT SID has written sumthing.. which u know is always appreciated n loved by all.. n d expectations r always higher.. n as as fr ur trip.. yaar i'm always ready till i'm on leave.. tu bas time, date aur place bta diya kar.. and u don't need to explain "ppl" abt d places.. coz i've always believed dat in a trip more imp. r d ppl n d time spent together dan d materialistic stuff.. c if u can plan nething uptil 30th.. i'll be happily dere.. nd yeah.. d rajputana feeling is alwaz dere.. so.. just keep writing.. watever.. shit.. we love it.. n best wishes fr ur gr8 work with AISEC.. love u yaar.. enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saurabh.. thanks' bhai!
    Kam hi logo ko maloom hai is blog ke baare mein, aur main bhi tab hi post karta hun jab mann karta hai mera sahi mein.. :)
    Anyways, I'll try my best to plan a plan to Pushkar before you leave..
    Yes. The journey is more important than the destination.. but when the destination is Pushkar or Jaipur, the destination is no less important..
    I haven't done much work in AIESEC.. but I'm still a fresh recruit..
    Dude.. its time you started a blog of your own.. Life in NDA or something.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still waiting fr ur announcement of d trip.. and u should know dat i'm leaving tomm. ya.. rajasthan has n will always be close 2 heart.. yaar.. i had a blog.. n deres lots of stuff n ideas 2 write abt.. but i don't think dat i'm supposed (allowed) to write all dat.. more importantly i don't think dat i'll be able to find time fr d next 1 yr atleast.. and a bit of real advice fr u.. although u'll be an engineer next yr.. bt u should definitely think abt some creative stuff as ur career option.. u'll rlly do well.. more importantly.. u'll enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sid..!!..gr8 post yr..!!!..
    :)
    i love it whneva yu wrte abt Jaipur...
    indeed we live in a country whch hs a rich cultural nd historical heritage..bt da sad part is dat mst of the ppl today dont appreciate dis...or i shuld say dey r unaware of this beautiful truth..nd yu knw evn i cannot decipher...y is evry1 soo attracted 2wrds malls nd cities like Noida nd Gurgaon ("the millennium city..as dey call it..haha!!)...i mean nw dat i m spending my vacations here in Gurgaon..i must tell ya..life here is so monotonous..der's nufin in dis city dat has left a mark on my mind...malls dont fascinate me..i see no point in aimlessly loitering around in des malls flooded wid all sorts of brands...such a waste of tym!!!
    Nd ya..i must tell ya..Ujjain is a wonderful place too...yu shuld visit it..atleast once..i hv been der quite a number of tyms...der is sumthng abt dis city..yu feel so calm nd serene in da City of Mahakal..no wrds to describe dat feeling!!..do put it on ur list..thgh i knw thoda door hai ye Agra se...bt boy do plan sumthng nd visit dis place..atleast ek baar..yu'll find another post for ur blog!! :) :)

    keep up da gud wrk!!
    love reading ur posts...
    da way yu express urslf is awesum...gud gng!! :)

    Waiting for ur nxt post sLm!! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You Feefz!
    Much love for your comment.. :)

    I love Jaipur a lot.. And I never do get tired of writing about that city.. But I'll try to write about something else in my next post..

    And yes, I *have* been to Ujjain.. But I didn't get any time to explore the city because I was there for only a couple of hours.. Despite never getting an opportunity to thoroughly uhh.. 'scavenge' the area of Ujjain, I still remember it as a very peaceful and neat city.. I hope to go there again someday.. :)

    And I know how it feels to be in such dull cities as Noida and Gurgaon.. so many malls and traffic.. yet having no soul. Delhi's much, much better.. because of all the layers of history you can find in Delhi if you look past the current layer.. The Delhi of Nehru and Lutyen.. The Delhi of the Iron Pillar.. the Red Fort etc. etc. :)

    Thanks for reading my post.. and leaving in a comment.. Maybe I'll ask you to write a post for me here.. You know.. like a guest author or something.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just wrote another long comment bt somehow it did'nt gt post.. so i'm nt writing again.. just reminding u 2 reply on my previous comment n keep writing.. -shubham

    ReplyDelete
  7. C'mon man.. Phir se post kar! I want your long comment!!

    Dude.. I'm trying. I'm trying to plan a plan day and night. And believe me, you'll be the first one to know when we finally plan a trip.

    And how's life? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time is running out.. i'm leaving 2night.. might call u.. so keep planning.. might come back in dec. fr a week.. n wat abt life.. yaar?? going 2 a new place n a complete new lifestyle.. lets c.. must be gr8.. have always lived fr it.. n also will fr d whole life!! Bye fr now.. best wishes fr ur future ventures n yeah.. keep writing!! -Love shubham

    ReplyDelete