Monday, December 6, 2010

Jaipur.

I keep thinking about going to Jaipur. I keep thinking about going there when I'm sleeping, when I'm studying, when I'm in college and when I'm not in college. I am meant to go to Jaipur. I'm meant to go on this soul searching trip.
I know its not all very clear now. I don't exactly know how I'll go, where I'll stay, or even how I'm going to convince my friends and family. But, like I said, I'm meant to go there.

Now, why Jaipur? Why not just go to Delhi for a week or so? I've got friends in Delhi, I've got none in Jaipur. I've got family in Delhi, and I've got family in Jaipur. But I really wouldn't want to bother the Great Family with my personal little trip. :P

That I'm fond of history and that I've already visited almost everything that is historical about Delhi is one explanation for me wanting to go to Jaipur. Delhi's mostly about modern history. I paid my homage to Nehru at Teen Murti Bhavan, paid a little visit to Indira Gandhi Smriti, went to old Delhi and a couple of other places. Thats that. I don't remember missing anything and if I did, I'll be sure to get it in my next trip.
A friend of mine tried 'glitzing' me with Delhi's malls and joints, the wide roads, North Campus (or was it South Campus?) and I respectfully declined his offer. He still can't understand why I chose Purana Quila over City Walk. My reason was simple, a lot of things are unique to every city, and a glorified mall ain't one of them. And especially for a city as historically important as Delhi. I didn't want the Punjabi Delhi, I was there for the Mughal Delhi, the British Delhi, even Indraprastha. There are so, so many things to be proud of our National Capital but you gotta know where to look.
I remember the first time I stepped into a Metro. "Bombardier". I was so impressed by not just the metro, but the entire service that I often would spend half a day travelling in the Metro and not going anyplace. I would get in at one end and get out at the other. And get in again. Delhiites are so proud of a service like that and rightly so.

I'm not particularly emotional. But I'm terribly emotional when I'm travelling. I remember going to the Rasthrapati Bhavan at night alone, when some of my friends were at home watching the World Cup. I armed myself with a couple of bottles of water and my camera and traversed the entire length of Rajpath trying to take in everything I saw. The security, the architecture, the tourists, the lighting, the Parliament. And on the gates, standing on top of Raisina Hill, Delhi was magnificent. Everything was right about Delhi. Magnificent. I've never been prouder.
I'm one of those people who believe that the journey's more important than the destination. I kept notes. I tried writing down everything. And I have to say that I'm still not perfect at that but I'm getting better. People don't understand why or what one's gotta write when a person's visiting Delhi, and sitting in the Israeli-sque suburbia that is Noida. But when you consider yourself a traveller, or even the more romantic notion of an explorer, you've got stuff to write, believe me. This greatly amused my pals, me thinks.

But Jaipur. Its been years. I remember visiting the Amber Fort somewhere in the late nineties. Ditto for the City Palace and the Birla Mandir. I like the empty roads there. And I'd very much like to be there again. And maybe sneak in a trip or two to Chittor. I remember going to Chittor when I was a little kid in school. Standing below the Vijay Stambh there built by Rana Kumbha, Chittor seemed to be the Center of the Earth. I'll go. When this semester ends. Sometime in January.
And yeah, I'd very much like to see my old school again. I'm so grateful for the time spent there. Yes. Silver Bells is on the list.

I'm creating a new page to track it all. Thats all for this post, I guess. Its been some time.

ps: I've got a bigger camera now. :)

7 comments:

  1. This article of yours can actually inspire others to go to Jaipur seriously..!!
    and Siddharth except the monuments and the roads there must be something more fascinating to you about Jaipur..am I wrong??
    P.S. we all know that u have a bigger camera now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know.. :) Dont you think that Jaipur is much, much more interesting than Noida or Agra??.. or even Delhi?

    Maybe the peace and quiet of Jaipur is what fascinates me. ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey sid.. sorry.. firstly b'coz i could'nt follow ur blog fr a while coz my last e-mail had 2 be withdrawn so no updates.. secondly i'd lost hope after a while dat u'll rlly write anything now here.. its gud u've proved me wrong coz u know how we cherish ur writing.. kuddozzz..
    now as far as d article goes.. sid u made my day by writing abt jaipur.. pata nhi jaipur ka naam sunte hi andar se feeling aati hai mast waali.. pata nhi sum say we've sum blood relation wid jaipur rajgharana or watevaa.. dat rajput feeling comes dere.. although i've not visited it much.. actually my family was supposed 2 go dere in following days.. but only due 2 me.. dey were forced 2 change minds.. coz of my 2 much interest of agra which i'm madly in love 2.. only after coming here in noida i realized its importance.. last tym dilli felt better.. d metro n all wat u wrote is fun but one has 2 make lot of efforts 2 explore.. n after spending five terms in nda i've obviously grown older.. knee has weakened rlly.. lolzz.. home seems always better.. nice 2 know abt ur cam.. now even i've got one.. not lik urs but still.. btw who's dat guy u talked abt taking u 2 malls?? also u frgot 2 mention dat i was along wid u n u were not all alone on raisina hills trip.. nd yeah jaipur is more interesting i believe dere r secrets 2 be discovered.. n i'm ready 2 go along wenever u make plans n i'm dere.. n keep writing lik dis as always.. luv.. enjoy :))

    oye.. zyaada likh diya kya..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aur Saurabh, bahut dino baad likha kuch aapne.. :D .. Haan yaar.. Jaipur se kuch emotional connection hai apan logo ka.. We connect with the city like no one else does..

    As for the effort one has to put in when one is exploring a city via its Metro, you forget something. I had time, lots of it. Roz free betha rehta tha.

    The guy who I was talking about.. I won't write his name here but even if I did it wouldn't matter since he doesn't know about this blog.

    Yeah, I did go to Raisina Hill with u and Chaube once, but I also made my own personal trip there alone one time. ;)

    Dude.. you have a camera now, NDA ki album post kar ab jaldi..

    Jaipur jaane ka plan January mein banane ki soch rha hun, but nothing's final..

    Thanks' for the comment! Aur bhi posts honge jo tu ne nhi padhe honge... put in your comments there too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. sid..!!!...yu write really well!! :)
    this article of yours took me back to the time whn i ws in 2nd standard...my dad had got transferred to Jaipur then nd so i got to spend my summer vacations in this beautiful city...i remember visiting hawa mahal and amber fort...o it ws an amazing experience...the fort looked stunning...it is indeed a classic nd romantic fort-palace...nd the Maotha lake adds to its charm.. :)
    i totally agree wid yu that we cannot ignore the historical richness of our country...you can find malls evrywhere...in every corner of the world...bt where will you get to see the fascinating blend of Hindu and Mughal architechture...nowhere bt in our very own Royal Rajasthan..indeed we live in an incredible country!! :)
    i love my india!!

    p.s now after reading this beautifully written article of yours..i am tempted to visit the Pink City again...there is something about Jaipur which is special and unique...something that makes it so alluring and different.. i'll surely visit this first planned city of India again..!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feesha.. thank you! :) ..
    Jaipur is an incredibly interesting place.. And not just the fort and Jaipur, I find the whole of Rajasthan incredibly romantic and uhh.. 'exotic'..
    I hope you find the time to visit Jaipur again.. And I'd suggest a trip to Chittor as well.. You won't regret that.. Chittor is a fort unlike any other..
    And btw, I *did* visit Jaipur in January.. the International Literature Festival.. Awesome. :)

    Now that I've got another reader for my blog, I'll try to come up with more posts.. You see, I don't post unless I'm 'inspired' enough.. but yeah.. I'll try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yea sure..i'll put Chittor on my list as well... the historical richness of our country fascinates me...!! :)
    nd do come up with more posts soon...!!

    ReplyDelete