Monday, September 24, 2012

The Week.

Over the course of the previous few weeks, for some reason, I have developed an immense liking for the music made by Nick Cave and Broken Bells. And also David Bowie (but thats because I heard him playing in the background of a trailer featuring an especially hot Emma Watson)

I spent the previous week in Delhi, Ghaziabad and Jaipur. You know I believe that every city exists for a reason. Like Bhilai lives and breathes steel and heavy metals; Bhopal is built around those beautiful lakes and kebabs; Jaipur is well, Jaipur with Moti Doongri and Amber; but Ghaziabad?


I could, honestly, think of no real reason as to why Ghaziabad exists (apart from the fact that we have to somehow accomodate our ever increasing population but thats not what I’m looking for). It’s not small enough and not nearly ancient enough to be an Ujjain and its not large and overwhelming enough to rival say, colonial Calcutta. And the funny thing is that even though the traffic and dirt levels there often rise up to meet Agraiite levels, the Mughals loved *us*, so we score there. But then, one day as I was passing by some of those blocks that look like hobbitton, I saw that school. The school.


I spent quite some time in that little grey campus. All kung-fued up in a small white karate outfit for those daily lessons there; Or in a dhoti with a bow hanging over my shoulder for that annual Ramayana play (playing the part of Lakshmana); or following the girls around (of course, that wasn’t called stalking then, we being all juniors and all); or just enjoying that “story-writing” lecture (thats how awesome that school was);  Silver Bells. This school was like a non-conformist little cousin of St.Pauls. Ghaziabad, for me, exists around this school. But thats just me and I just have to ask this to my pals who live there: “What is Ghaziabad anchored to?”


Goddamn I just can’t get that image of Emma Watson listening to Bowie in a pick up truck in what appears to be San Francisco out of my head. :P


That movie is set in the early nineties and maybe thats what drawing me to the Broken Bells. Their music reminds me of England in the early nineties although I was too small then to remember anything of those years aaand I’ve never been to England (or Nepal, for that matter). But you’ll get the point when you see the clip and hear the Broken Bells.


In other news, we’ve got the U.S. Presidential Elections coming up and I (as strange though it may sound) follow American politics with a far greater interest than the one I reserve for our own politics. As a lifelong Democrat, I’m all for a second term for Obama.


As for Indian politics, I just finished reading Jaswant Singh’s ’A Call To Honour’ and it is a remarkable book

....... .. .

3 comments:

  1. So.. finally D SID has written.. nice.. although i could'nt get much frm d post except dat u 3 dogs were dere together widout me in dilli n dat ya u went 2 gzb fr a yr n before we could make out dat u had gone.. u were actually bak by den.. n ya u had sum crush in silver bells.. naam???
    -shubhs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaar ab kya kare tere ko holiday itni kam milti hai..
    And we three dogs were there for one night only at Rohit's place.

    Yaar that school was great! I know shaayad class 2 mein gaya tha.. :P
    And no crush yaar, just classmates!

    Agra kab aa raha hai?

    ReplyDelete
  3. pooch mat yaar.. is yr to mushkil hai next yr dekhta huun.. bt i can come fr a weekend in any part of d country if d situation demands n do plan sumtym 2 come down here.. Aish karaungaa..
    -shubh

    ReplyDelete